Offices were actually in families homes, some were named after the person being
the postmaster, and it was not unusual for the post office to change its
location during its duration, sometimes this was due to another person becoming
postmaster. Mail was brought in a
box-type wagon; the families had a wooden cubicle box that they used in their
homes/business when they were the postmasters.
3/27/1878 2/6/1882 - SE/4 8-11-20
Postmaster Orris D Eaton
was renamed to Mendota, when Mr. Hallock took over being postmaster in
2/6/1882 11/20/1909 - NW/4 6-11-20
Postmaster Harvey M Hallock
the Halton Post Office; the name changed to Mendota when Mr. Hallock became
postmaster. On Jan 1, 1885
the postmaster, Hiram D Parmenter requested it be moved from SE/4 8-11-20 to
NW/4 6-11-20. In 1893, Harvey M
Hallock, once again postmaster, Mendota was even located in Trego County for a
time, located at NW4 24-11-21. Then
in 1904 it was moved back into Ellis County to N2 NW4 18-11-20 with William A.R.
2/28/1903 8/31/1909 - NE/4 20-11-19
Postmaster Albert A Wiles
established it was located on NE4 20-11-19 which was just across the road (now
known as Riverview Road) from the Riverview School.
4/19/1875-4/14/1894 - S/2 (near intersection of Saline River Rd & Hwy
Postmaster Phranda Robinson
Martin was located on the NW4 of 10-11-18 when first established.
to use the name Stanton, but the postal department refused; they then asked for
Martin Center and the postal officials shortened it to Martin. By March 3, 1885
the office was located on SE/4 SW/4 of 10-11-18 with the postmaster being F.E.
The post office closed just five days short of its 19th
10/14/1875-1/31/1918 - S/2 of 7-11-16
Postmaster- Benjamin N Turk
Post Office was located at SE4 NE4 11-11-17 (the residence of Ben N Turk) when
established. Turkville PO moved several times during its duration.
After the first location it was moved to the following; SE4 SW4 10-11-17
in 1886 w/Henry P Mock, NW4 NE4 10-11-17, NE4 NW4 14-11-17 in 1889 w/Edward E
Wasson to name a few. On April 7, 1900, a receipt was written by JH Gumble,
Postmaster of Turkville Post Office
to newly appointed Postmaster Albert L Hobbs that postage stamps, postal cards,
stamped envelopes, newspaper wrappers etc. valued at $62.95 cents were annexed
at the time with RA Gumble being witness to such exchange. Finally at the
closure it was located on SE4 7-11-17. It was located on the east side of a
small creek that ran to the east of what is known as Turkville School.
by James Rasmussen, related to the Gumbles)
Post Office Receipt Dated April 7, 1900 From JH Gumble to Albert L Hobbs
2/14/1907 10/31/1908 SW/4 16-11-16
Postmaster Orman H Finch
first established it was located in SW4 16-11-16 near the Albrecht School.
Mr. Finch had asked for the name to be School Creek but the Post Office
Department used Mr. Finchs last name instead.
2/28/1883 1/13/1885 - NW/4 28-11-16
Postmaster Mrs. CM Philbrick
Mrs. Philbrick first established the post office it was located on NW4 28-11-16,
by the time it closed it was located on NW4 35-11-16.
Page created by Jackie Slimmer Langholz